Winston and Erica Kinsman reached a compromise with contingencies and Kinsmans lawyer says instance has been resolved satisfactorily
Federal court records show that Winston and his accuser, Erica Kinsman, reached a compromise with contingencies Wednesday with joint motions for dismissal anticipated within 20 days.
Terms of the settlement are confidential. Blaine Kerr, one of the attorneys representing Kinsman, said the case has been resolved to the gratification of the parties.
The trial had been scheduled to begin 3 April in US district court in Orlando.
The Associated Press does not typically identify people who say they have been sexually assaulted, but Kinsman has spoken publicly about her case, including in a documentary.
Kinsman sued Winston in April 2015 for sexual battery, assault, false imprisonment and emotional distress stemming from a December 2012 incident.
Kinsman has said she was drunk at a Tallahassee bar when Winston and others took her to an apartment, where she says the quarterback raped her.
Winston has said the allegations are false and he and Kinsman had consensual sex. Prosecutors a year later said there wasnt enough evidence to win a conviction and there were gaps in Kinsmans story.
Kinsman filed the lawsuit 2 week before Winston was attained the top overall pick in the NFL draft by Tampa Bay. In May 2015, Winston filed a countersuit, saying Kinsman induced false and defamatory statements and she was trying to take advantage of his newfound wealth.
In January, Florida State settled the Title IX lawsuit Kinsman filed against it for $950,000. As part of the settlement, FSU made a five-year is committed to sexual assault awareness and prevention. The university also agreed to publish annual reports for the next five years about those programs.
Winston is in his second season in Tampa Bay and has led the Buccaneers (8 -5) into arguing for a playoff place with five straight wins going into Sundays game at Dallas.
Read more: www.theguardian.com